Operate truck-mounted cranes
SAQA US ID UNIT STANDARD TITLE
242978 Operate truck-mounted cranes
PRE-2009 NQF LEVEL NQF LEVEL CREDITS
Level 3 NQF Level 03 8
PURPOSE OF THE UNIT STANDARD
The person credited with this unit standard will be able to understand the functions of a truck mounted crane while using the crane in a safe and suitable manner. They will also be able to access support and emergency services in the case of an incident or accident in the workplace.
The qualifying learner is capable of:
- Demonstrating knowledge of the functions of a truck mounted crane.
- Identifying the safety and suitability of the crane.
- Inspecting and recording the operational fitness of the components of the truck and crane.
- Operating a truck mounted crane.
- Accessing available support systems and emergency services in case of incidents and accidents.
LEARNING ASSUMED TO BE IN PLACE AND RECOGNITION OF PRIOR LEARNING
It is assumed that learners accessing this unit standard are competent in:
Communication at NQF Level 2 or equivalent.
Mathematical Literacy at NQF Level 2 or equivalent.
UNIT STANDARD RANGE
Limited to work carried out on a truck-mounted crane with standardised fittings.
The applied competence expressed in this standard covers one specific crane of a range of heavy crane types (capacity and functionality) used in familiar operational functions in any industry context, and in a range of environmental conditions (e.g. poor weather).
Cranes shall include:
> C32 Truck mounted Crane.
Attachments shall include:
> S Tandem Lifts.
> T Special Categories.
The Codes and Attachments correspond with the National Code of Practice.