Operate a telescopic boom handler
SAQA US ID UNIT STANDARD TITLE
260781 Operate a telescopic boom handler
PRE-2009 NQF LEVEL NQF LEVEL CREDITS
Level 3 NQF Level 03 10
PURPOSE OF THE UNIT STANDARD
Operating a lifting machine takes place within a regulatory framework that seeks to ensure safety of the operator, the lifting machine and the lifting machine environment. Telescopic boom handlers are inherently dangerous; hence, their safe operation cannot be overstated. The learner will also acquire the competencies and skills to operate the components, systems and levers to accomplish the task of lifting and handling loads appropriately. The aspects of safety and communication during the lifting operation are covered.
It is important that the learners operate Telescopic boom handlers using the competencies in this Unit Standard and in keeping with the requirements of the National Code of Practice (NCOP) for the Evaluation of Training Providers for Lifting Machine Operators (Government Gazette 27292 – 18 February 2005).
SKILLS EXPECTED OF YOU TO DEMONSTRATE AFTER COMPLETING THIS TRAINING
- Discussing and applying the regulatory framework for operating Telescopic boom handlers.
- Describing the telescopic boom handler to be operated.
- Demonstrating mechanical awareness of the telescopic boom handler.
- Inspecting the telescopic boom handler.
- Handling loads with a telescopic boom handler.
- Operating the telescopic boom handler.
To qualify for this course, you will need,
- Minimum of Grade 11 certificate
- Safety, Health & Environmental legislation
- Medical fitness Certificate
- Eye test certificate