Operate a counter balance lift truck (Forklift)
Any person credited with this Unit Standard is able to operate a counter-balanced lift truck in a safe manner. They will also be able to conduct pre and post inspections to ensure the performance of the lift truck is maintained. The person will be able to handle the loading and storage of freight by using the equipment and its accessories in the required manner. They will also be able to access emergency system and services in the event of an incident or accident.
The qualifying learner is capable of:
- Applying the recognised methods for inspecting and recording the operational fitness of all components of the lift truck with reference to safety procedures in the workplace.
- Identifying and classifying freight/loads taking into account documentation, packaging and labelling associated with the specific freight.
- Handling, loading and storing freight in accordance with industry standards environmental requirements, and with due consideration to inter alia the commodities and their properties, storage area and placement of load.
- Achieving maximum work performance of lifting equipment and attachments, by applying knowledge of equipment dimensions, controls, principles of operation and capacities, manufacturing specifications and circumstances in the working environment.
- Operating equipment in accordance with laid down organisational and legislative standards and procedures as well as manufacturer’s guidelines.
- Accessing available emergency support system and services in case of incidents and accidents
UNIT STANDARD RANGE
The applied competence expressed in this standard may be demonstrated across a range of lift trucks (capacity, functionality) involved in familiar operational functions in any industry context, and in any environmental conditions.
Lift Truck shall include:
- F1: Counterbalanced lift truck up to rated capacity of 3000kg.
- F2: Counterbalanced lift truck up to rated capacity of 7000kg.
- F3: Counterbalanced lift truck up to rated capacity of 15000kg.
- F4: Counterbalanced lift truck above a rated capacity of 15000kg.
It is assumed that learners accessing this unit standard will have demonstrated competence in:
- Communication at NQF Level 2 or equivalent.
- Mathematical Literacy at NQF Level 2 or its equivalent
- Eye Test certificate or drivers licence
- Medical certificate of fitness
- Minimum of Grade 7 academic qualifications
- Certified ID copy